Monday, August 1, 2011

Oahu Gingersnaps


These cookies are delicious.  Slightly crunchy on the outside and chewy on the inside with just the right amount of spices and molasses.  I think these are the most perfect gingersnaps I have ever found.  I got this recipe from my cousin.  I have adapted it slightly because I never use shortening and don't have it in my house.  The original recipe calls for 1/2 cup butter and 1/2 cup shortening.  First I tried to just replace the shortening with butter.  The results were awful.  The cookies were greasy and flat.  Nothing like the crispy, chewy, slightly puffy little cookies my cousin had always made.  The next time, I just tried omitting the shortening, but that resulted in hard, crumbly, dry mounds.  Yuck!  I finally tried replacing the shortening with 1/4 cup canola oil.  Jackpot!!!  They were once again the perfect little gingersnaps I remembered.  Here is my version of this recipe.


Oahu Gingersnaps

1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup canola oil
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup molasses
1 egg beaten
1 tsp. ginger
1 tsp. cloves
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking soda
2 cups flour

Cream together all ingredients except the flour.  Add flour and mix until well incorporated.  Cover and chill dough.  Roll into balls and then roll them in sugar.  Place on ungreased baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...