Sunday, February 24, 2013

Yardstick and Clothespin Art Display


I had seen a couple of art displays made of yardsticks and fun colorful clothespins. I thought they were really cute and a great idea, but I wanted to change it up a little. I wanted to make mine a little bit more neutral for a couple of reasons. First, it would be for my 8 year old boy, who is growing out of the more juvenile color schemes; and second, I wanted the art to be the real star. So here is my take on the yardstick and clothespin art display.


First, I got a good yardstick. I picked mine up at Lowe's. I think it was around 75 cents.


I painted the yardstick white and let it dry. When it was done drying I decided I wanted the number and hash marks to show up a bit better and it was a bit too crisp and perfect for my boys' room.


So I combined some gray paint with some water (about 1:1 ratio), and painted over the yard stick again. I let this sit for about 2-3 minutes.


Then I took a paper towel and wiped the paint off. The numbers and markings started to subtly show up. Perfect!!


Then I took nine clothespins and dunked them in my paint/water mixture. (One at a time). I decided to use this mixture, because I wanted the clothespins to be tinted, rather than painted. Plus - it was really easy ;)


I made sure the clothespins were completed covered and then pulled them out and let the excess paint drip off for a second.


Then I put them on wax paper to dry. I turned them over after the top seemed dry and let the underside get some good drying time too.


Next, I took some tacky glue and put a bit of it in the middle of the less pretty side of the clothespin.

 
I glued my first clothespin down at the 2 inch mark and then glued another one every four inches. (So that is one at the 2,6,10,14,18,22,26,30,and 34 inch marks.)


I let the clothespins dry overnight.


The next day, I flipped the yardstick over and attached some peel and stick velcro to it at the 2, 18, and 34 inch marks. (If you are in a rental, or are worried about damaging your wall, you will probably want to use command strips.)


I marked the wall, to ensure that I put the yardstick up straight and then I removed the plastic, to expose the adhesive on the other side of the velcro.


I matched the yardstick up with my markings and stuck it to the wall.


My son added some of his latest works.

He loves it and so do I.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...