Grain Free Raspberry Thumbprint Cookies


I have been trying to eat a little bit better lately, but I still need a little something sweet now and then.  I ran across this recipe from Texanerin on Pinterest awhile ago, and decided to give it a try, since it is grain, and dairy free, and the sugar content is fairly low for a cookie.



I was won over by these little shortbready like cookies.  I make a batch of them and then just put them in my freezer to be eaten when a sugar craving strikes.  They hit the spot every time.

You can find the recipe here at Texanerin.

As I was reading through the comments, both on Pinterest and her website, I found that quite a few people had trouble making these cookies, and they didn't turn out that great, so, since I feel like the ones I made were delicious, I decided I would walk you through some of the things I did, and hopefully they will turn out for you as well as they did for me.


Apparently, the type of Almond flour and Coconut flour really matters in the success of this recipe.  These are the brands I used.  I found them both at Sam's Club.  

Once I have opened these bags, I keep them in the freezer, so that requires me to measure out the amount I need for the recipe in advance and let it come to room temperature before baking these cookies. (Trust me on this one, the only time I have had these cookies flop on me was when I tried to hurry too fast and made them with these flours fresh out of the freezer.)


This is what my cookie dough looked like after mixing.


I used my 1 tablespoon cookie scoop to portion out the dough before rolling into balls.  The dough is a little crumbly, so I always have to squeeze the dough together before rolling.


Here are the cookie dough balls once I have made the thumbprint indentations in them.  When I first pressed my thumb into them, the edges were quite a bit more ragged than this, but a couple of presses with the fingers and they  were looking more rounded like I wanted.


Fill them with jam and they are ready for the oven!


And here they are all baked and in my freezer container ready to be popped in the freezer as my emergency sugar stash.

I love these little almond raspberry thumbrint cookies.  If you are gluten free, or cook for someone who is, or if you are simply trying to reduce the amount of wheat in your diet, give these a try.  I think you will be happy you did.