Delicious Homemade Granola



This granola recipe is the one that my mom made for us while we were growing up. I have always loved it.  I almost always have the necessary ingredients on hand and it is so versatile.  I generally substitute Flaxseed meal for the wheat germ and I have used all sorts of different kinds of nuts - just whatever I have on hand.  My favorite dried fruit to use is cranberries, but you can also use raisins, apricots (cut up), etc.  I love eating this as a cereal with some milk, but it is also delicious with yogurt , or just to be enjoyed by the handful.  If you want to make it more like a sweet trail mix, toss a few m&ms in there and enjoy.  I also used it to make some granola cookies once - it worked perfectly.  


So - in a nutshell - be creative.  As long as you stick to the base recipe, the add-ins can be modified to suit your tastes.


I like my granola to have some clumps to it, so I have learned that in order to accomplish that, I need to bake the granola on a parchment covered sheet pan.  Then I let it cool completely after it comes out of the oven.  That way I can break the granola into chunks that are the size that I like and I don't have to worry about it sticking to the pan, because believe me, it will stick to that pan like concrete if you let it cool on the pan without parchment on there.

I recommend this pre-cut, unbleached parchment that I buy from Amazon. I use it all the time.



I love this homemade granola, and I hope you will too.