Easy Blender German Pancakes aka Puffy Oven Pancakes




I love German pancakes.  I don't know how German they really are, but that is how they are known in my neck of the woods.   These are so easy to make.  Just pop the butter in the pan and put it in the oven while it is preheating, to melt.  Then put all the other ingredients in a blender and give them a whirl.  When the oven is preheated and the butter is melted, pour the batter into the pan and let it bake until puffy and golden.  Finish it off with a dusting of powdered sugar and serve with syrup and you have yourself a super easy and yummy hot breakfast.

I know that most people have a recipe for German pancakes, and if they don't there are plenty available online, but if you are looking for a recipe, or even if this looks a little different than what you have been using, I suggest you give it a try.  It is my favorite of all the recipes I have tried.

I like the fact that German Pancakes are heavy on eggs, so I feel a little better about serving it to my kids for breakfast since it has a little bit of extra protein, and all the other nutrients that eggs provide.  I often make this recipe a little healthier by only adding half the amount of butter into the pan, and then replacing it with applesauce in the batter.  So, I'll melt 3 Tbsp. of butter in the pan, and then add 3 Tbsp. of applesauce into the blender with the rest of the batter ingredients.   I have also made this recipe with some or all white wheat flour, omitted the dusting of powdered sugar, and served with fresh fruit rather than syrup.

Admittedly, I love this recipe best in its unhealthiest form with powdered sugar and warm syrup, but it is delicious with the healthier changes as well.  I have even heard of people using oat flour instead of wheat flour, or adding bananas, or protein powder, or sourdough discard to their German Pancakes, so I think this recipe is fairly forgiving when it comes to experimenting with it.  If I am new to a recipe, I usually make it in its original form first before I start experimenting with it, so I know how it is supposed to turn out and I can gauge how much my alterations changed the final product.


Here is the recipe in its original form.

If you are looking for a recipe for German Pancakes, I hope you give these a try.  In my opinion, it is the best recipe out there.